Toothpaste for Gum Disease
Half of all Americans over the age of 30 have some form of gum disease. This includes: Gingivitis, which results in red, puffy, swollen gums that are susceptible to easy bleeding,
and even Periodontitis, which is a severe, inflammatory infection that causes bad breath, receding of the gum-line, and the eventual loss of teeth.
I could lose my teeth!? That's right. And guess what? It only gets worse with age. According to the CDC, 70% of Americans over the age of 64 suffer from gum disease. Unfortunately, a good portion of people don't even know they have it. But now you know.
So what can you do about it?
You basically have 3 options:
#1 Curl up into a ball in a dark corner and sob quietly to yourself. But you've tried that before. It never works.
#2 You could scour the internet for remedies -- which is bound to overwhelm you with lists of expensive and dubious cure-alls that could take hours, days, light-years to sift through. But you don't really have that kind of time.
#3 Let us do your heavy lifting. We have partnered with Amazon.com to find you the MOST EFFECTIVE (and affordable) products that help combat gum disease and promote strong oral health. Not only have we found you the best products around, but you get the low prices only Amazon can offer. (Being an online-only business, Amazon.com saves money by not having to pay the costs associated with retail stores, and that savings is funneled to you!)
User reviews weighed heavily into our decision-making because, let's face it, nothing matters more than if a product actually works for customers. So! If you want to prevent or cure gum disease (yes, you do), these are the BEST SOLUTIONS we found:
1. Nature's SmileTM
Natural Gum Balm contains active ingredients that kill disease-causing bacteria. Natural extracts are absorbed by your gums and continue to work around the clock to keep gum disease at bay.
· Quickly stops bleeding gums.
· Reduces inflamed mouth tissue.
· Reduces periodontal pockets where the jawbone has eroded away.
REAL Success Stories:
(1) Customer saved from having surgery for receding and infected gums.
(2) Dentist AMAZED by customer's results. Now recommends Nature's Smile to all patients.
Review #1 -- "No surgery needed now."
"I tried this as a last resort after having to schedule surgery for receding and infected gums. After one week the swelling was down and my gums were healing. It really worked. I have used it for 3 weeks now and so far my gums are getting back to normal. I cancelled the surgery for now and I intend to use this product as part of my regular dental routine. My gums may never grow back to where they were when I was young, but they are now pink and healthy." -D. Morales
Review #2 -- "This stuff ROCKS!"
"I've been using this product for over a year now. It absolutely does exactly what it says it will do. My dentist is actually endorsing this to other patients now because of my personal results. I wish I could have found something like this when I was much younger. This is a great way to end problematic gum conditions. I gave this as a gift to my 3 kids (college age) about 6 months ago and everyone is getting great results. Its a rare thing these days to find a product that actually does what it says it will do. I'm so glad I found this." -Wild Bill
2. Ultimate Gum Solution
One of the better products we came across is this non-surgical, herbal solution with strong anti-bacteria that fight gum disease, halitosis, and toothache.
· Kills off bacteria in the teeth and gums
· Helps stop decay
· Provides essential nourishment to teeth through dentin tubules
What really sets this product apart from others in its category are the amazing testimonials from every day users who thought they'd never find a cure for their gum disease.
Review #1 -- "This is the real deal."
"I have been using Ultimate Gum Solution for about 5 years. I had struggled with periodontal disease for many years, and had not yet found anything that would help prevent the disease from advancing. The health of my teeth got to the point of having to see a specialist who informed all of my upper teeth would need to be extracted. I started to look for a natural solution and found Ultimate Gum Solution. I ordered the product and followed the instructions daily as directed. To my delight, I still have all of my upper teeth 5 years later. I strongly recommend this product if you prefer a natural solution and want to keep your own teeth." -B-Rad
Review #2 -- "Better than periodontal surgery."
"I have had major periodontal surgery twice and it did not solve the problem. When I lost a tooth two years ago, I began to use this product, preceded by rinsing twice with warm slightly salty water, after each meal. The results were immediate. No more looseness in my teeth, and my gums feel firm and healthy. Try this approach. It works." -Jonathan York
Review #3 -- "Longtime User: A must have item for my family's oral health."
"I discovered UGS about 4 years ago. I hate going to the dentist, and was impressed by testimonials of users who said they rarely have to go to the dentist. When I started using UGS I had gum bleeding, retracted gums, and sensitive areas on some of my teeth. I already had a history of emergency extractions due to horrendous pain from untreated cavities. USG worked extremely well in several ways .. to stop the pain on two very sensitive teeth, get my gums in top shape-no more bleeding, makes my teeth feel strong and reduced yellowing. On a rare dental checkup last month I confessed I hadn't had my teeth cleaned in 15 years. The dentist explained with that history he expected to see peridontal disease etc. When he looked in my mouth he was amazed that my gums were in great condition...I'm very glad to see USG on amazon for a lower price. I consider this a 'must have' item in your health supplement arsenal. I highly recommend it for adults and children." -Stacy
3. Crest Pro-Health Clinical Gum Protection Toothpaste
Not to be outdone, the "Look, Ma. No cavities" toothpaste works to reverse the effects of gingivitis as well. Not only that, but Crest Pro Health is clinically proven to protect against a host of other oral hygiene problems:
- Fights plaque
- Fights tartar buildup
- Whitens teeth
- Freshens breath
- Fights teeth sensitivity
- Reverses effects of gingivitis in
as little as 4 weeks
Review #1 -- "The perfect toothpaste."
"I need to use this to keep my gums healthy, it's the only thing that has ever worked for me, and if you also use the mouthwash with it, they seem to be a miracle worker. For the people with the complaints regarding how strong it is and it's affects.....I mean, what did you expect from a clinical grade toothpaste?" -wowtiskt
4. TheraBreath PerioTherapy Oral Rinse
Promote healthy gum tissue with this maximum strength formula. This clinically tested oral rinse has been scientifically proven to kill anaerobic bacteria.
· Eliminates bad breath, dry mouth, and taste disorders.
· 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Review #1 -- "better dental check-ups"
"I think this works. I've been having problems with receeding gums and a few pockets that were worrisome. I started using the rinse and the PerioTherepy toothpaste regularly and got an improved evaluation from my dentist. When I ran out of both products I went back to my old toothpaste because I didn't want to order online. But the next check-up at the dentist (I go every 3 months) was worrisome so I switched back to PerioTherapy. After about three months of using it my gums were stable and appeared healthier at my next check-up." - Kathleen
Review #2 -- "It really works"
"I have an area that is badly receded and had gotten really scary recently. I read reviews here on a number of products and this particular one was actually available at rite aid. So I went there and got this plus a soft tooth brush and it actually started working right away. In a couple days it was all healed and things got much better. I also ordered the oraMD and Gum Rejuv from amazon and they are quite good too. By the time they arrived though my gums were healed from the perio therapy. The oraMD is fairly strong and seems to cut the plaque well. The Gum Rejuv I'm not really sure on but it seems good. Anyway if you have a problem and you're reading these reviews the perio therapy is a great place to start, it really works." -B. Conley
Review #3 -- "No more bloody gums"
"I've had bloody gums for more than a year. I've been ignoring the problem because treatment by the dentist is too expensive. I recently found Dr. Katz's Periotherapy Gum Care Oral Rinse. I use it with the periotherapy toothgel that I found through their website. Bleeding was reduced in three days. I could see an improvement almost immediately. I definitely recommend this product to all of you out there who are "gingi" challenged." -Liza A. Copuyoc
So there you have it.
Some of the best products on the market to help you prevent and cure gum disease, as well as a plethora of other oral health problems. Try these out and see which ones work best for you.
AND REMEMBER: Just because HALF of adults suffer from gum disease, like gingivitis and periodontitis, doesn't mean you have to. Protect your gums and teeth today, and they'll be with you for a lifetime.
Below are five products which can be utilized at home to fight against and help prevent gum disease:
1. Gengigel Gel
Contains hyaluronic acid, a natural substance that can be found in the connective tissues througout the body. When applied to the gums, it stimulates the production of healthy new tissue.
Contains chlorhexidine, a powerful anti-bacterial with plaque reducing capabilities, found in a prescription dental treatments for gingivitis.
The first probiotic for oral health, each lozenge contains Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis; a no hazardous bacteria that has been clinically proven to help restore the natural balance of the mouth after use of oral antiseptics and anti-bacterials found in mouthwashes and gels.
4. Boots Co-Enzyme Q10
Co-enzyme Q10 is a vitamin-like substance that can influence the body's energy-supply mechanism, helping convert sugars and fat into energy.
This mouthwash contains hydrogen peroxide, a natural antiseptic that breaks down into its constituent atoms of oxygen and water on coming into contact with an enzyme found in the blood. The rapid release of oxygen has an antibacterial effect, reducing infection and helping inflamed gums.
Symptoms of Gum Disease
There are some tell tale signs that can indicate if you are experiencing gum disease:
- The first symptom of gum disease are inflamed or swollen gums. If your gums are red or swollen this could be a sign that you have gum disease. Many people do not recognize this as a sign because it's virtually painless, but if left untreated gum inflammation can lead to more severe problems.
- The second symptom of gum disease are bleeding from the gums. Usually a result of brushing or flossing and can be the first sign of something wrong in your teeth and gums
- The third symptom of gum disease is much more serious. If your gums have started to recede, exposing more of the tooth, this means that you are passed the first stages of gum disease (gingivitis) and already in the stage of periodontitis. During periodontitis, the underlying tooth support structure is damaged, which can cause the gums to migrate away from the teeth.
The goal of a good toothpaste is to reduce the development of plaque, help clean your teeth and eliminate harmful bacteria without destroying the organisms that are important to maintain a healthy mouth. All brands should show ADA approval and usually indicate it on the label. Even the most effective toothpastes cannot reach far below the gum line where plaque can accumulate. That is why it is important to have frequent professional cleanings by your dentist as well as maintain good oral hygiene at home.
Toothpastes are a combination of abrasives, binders, detergents, flavors, fluoride,preservatives, and artificial sweeteners. Highly abrasive toothpastes can be harmful and should be avoided, especially if the gums have already begun receding. The ingredients found in toothpaste play a major role in the fight against bacteria and eventual formation of gum disease.
Ingredients found in toothpastes may include:
- Most toothpastes contain fluoride. Fluoride is important in dental health because it works to both strengthen tooth enamel against decay and promotes dental remineralization. Children who moderate their fluoride intake have less dental issues when they are older. Fluoride also reduces acid causing bacteria, especially after eating, when the mouth is more acidic.
- Colgate''s Total toothpastes contain a fluoride and triclosan, an extremely potent anti-bacterial substance. Total toothpaste was the first FDA approved toothpaste for the prevention of tooth decay, gingivitis, and plaque.
- Metal salts such as stannous and zinc serve mostly as anti-bacterial substances in certain toothpastes. Stannous fluoride gel toothpastes slightly reduce the evidence of gingivits, however it does not reduce plaque levels.
- Viadent toothpaste and mouthwash contain an anti-bacterial herbal extract called sanguinarine. The two products provide minimal results when used individually, but if the mouthwash and toothpaste are used together they have produced plaque reductions of 17 - 42% and reductions of gingivitis of 18 - 57% during a 6-month period.
- Antibacterial sugar substitutes, and detergents
- Enzymes called glucanases
· What we can do for our gums?
· A healthy routine for our teeth and gums is necessary in the prevention of gum disease.Effective and regular plaque removal is the best way you can keep your gums healthy and free of disease. Brushing twice a day for two minutes using the right technique is a must is our biggest advocate in the fight against gum disease.
· Using an anti-bacterial toothpaste, such as Colgate Total Pro-Gum Health (clinically proven to prevent and treat gum disease), will help fight the bacteria that cause plaque to develop. Using the correct toothpaste can vastly improve your chances of preventing gum disease at its earliest stages.
· In addition, you can use inter-dental brushes or dental floss that will remove plaque between your teeth.
· Details of Gum Disease
· Gum disease, also referred to as periodontal disease, is a condition in which the gum's deeper supporting tissue and even the bone surrounding teeth have become infected. The first stage is a build-up of plaque on the teeth. If plaque is not properly removed by brushing and flossing, it accumulates and hardens underneath the gum line into tartar - a hard white substance that can be visible if stained.
· Once tartar builds up, it is much more difficult to remove than plaque and usually requires cleaning by a dentist. Over time, it can lead to inflamed gums, or gingivitis, and they will bleed while brushing or flossing. Tartar buildup must be removed by a dentist.
· If you are experiencing any of the symptoms involved in gum disease you should schedule an appointment with your dentist.